The day after the Alexandria trip, we had to wake up early again and go running! Not only was it the first time I had run since I'd arrived in Egypt, but I got to run around the PYRAMIDS! 
This was the first ever 'Race for the Cure in the Middle East' to raise awareness for breast cancer, and we heard about it through the AFS-Egypt volunteers. It only cost about $5, and we all got a t-shirt and hat (as you can see from the pictures), which made it even better. I also got to wear shorts in public for the first time since I've been in Egypt, which felt really good, and even though there were a lot of Americans there, it still felt a little weird.
Most of the NSLI-Y students didn't show up for the event, but there was a good group of us there, so we had a lot of fun.
Getting off the bus and seeing the pyramids through the morning haze was such a surreal experience. I couldn't believe I was actually SEEING the pyramids, and even though I'd looked at so many pictures of them over the years, being there in person was amazing. These monstrous structures seem to just be sitting in the middle of the desert, and 3,000 years later, they are still impressive! It also felt strange to BE right there at the pyramids, but to not be completely focusing on them because I was distracted by the race preparations and talking with my friends.
The race was not well organized, so after we registered amid all the chaos, we walked the 1.5 km to the starting line because they did not have enough buses to transport everyone. We stood around behind the starting line in a huge mass of people, not knowing what was going on, and when the race finally started around 10:30 am, the first 0.1 km were a snail crawl because it was so crowded! (picture above of the pyramids and running route)
Most of the other people in my group decided to walk, but I gladly ran the whole way! I had to dodge hordes of people, cars, loose rocks, sand, and tour buses for 1.5 km until I reached the finish line, but it was worthit. A lot of people didn't even follow the correct course, and hundreds weren't even able to reach the starting line in time, so they began in the middle of the race. So it was not, by any means, a competitive race, and there were no winners (because it was impossible to tell). (below: at the finish line) 
I tried to soak in the feeling of running by the pyramids, but it was pretty difficult to look at the them while trying not to run over people (or be run over myself by buses and cars). After the race, the event continued with a parade down past the Sphinx to an area below where a tent was set up.
On our way down past the Sphinx, my friend (Izzy) and I, were tricked by this Egyptian man into riding a camel, and it was too late to do much once we were up on the camel's back.
However, we managed to get away with a pretty good price for our 10 meter-long camel ride because we acted really upset with him, and Izzy refused to pay any more than 20 pounds (about $4). (above: Izzy being tricked into riding the camel...I got on soon thereafter.)
All of the NSLI-Y students headed back into Cairo because there wasn't much to do after the event, and Izzy and I got some very refreshing, fresh mango juice from one of the many juice bars throughout the city. Drinking fresh juice is one of our favorite activities now, and so far I've tried cantaloupe, guava, strawberry, mango, and lemon...they also have pineapple, banana, pomegranate, and I'm sure a lot more depending on the season!!
All of the NSLI-Y students headed back into Cairo because there wasn't much to do after the event, and Izzy and I got some very refreshing, fresh mango juice from one of the many juice bars throughout the city. Drinking fresh juice is one of our favorite activities now, and so far I've tried cantaloupe, guava, strawberry, mango, and lemon...they also have pineapple, banana, pomegranate, and I'm sure a lot more depending on the season!!
I took some great pictures of the pyramids, but I would definitely like to go back and take a tourn INSIDE one of them. (above: after the race in front of the Sphinx and pyramids.)
That sounds amazing, hope you get to go back soon!
ReplyDelete